- 2 medium-sized Chinese eggplants
- 1/4 cup ikan bilis (dried anchovies)
- 2 tablespoon sambal belacan
- 1/2 tablespoon belacan
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- pinch of salt for seasoning
- [optional] scallions for garnish
Cut the eggplant into 2″ sections, then halve lengthwise
In a pan, add oil, then fry ikan bilis, garlic and belacan until the ikan bilis is crispy and the garlic is golden brown.
Set aside the ikan bilis/garlic/belacan mixture.
In the same pan, fry the eggplant with 1/4 cup water, covered.
When the water is absorbed, add another 1/4 cup water, and cover again.
Repeat this for three to five times, until the desired doneness of the eggplant. (I used four x 1/4 cup of water.)
Add a pinch of salt and fry the eggplant with sambal belacan.
Add the ikan bilis/garlic/belcan mixture on top.
[optional] Garnish with chopped scallions.