Growing up, one of my brother’s favorite dishes to order at tze char stalls is seafood tofu on a hotplate. It is absolutely delicious, but we don’t have a hotplate at home, so claypot it is. It is slightly different, but this is how my grandmother does it at home now, and it is equally good.
- 1/2 onion, cut into 8
- 2 carrots, cut into 1″ pieces, then half each piece lengthwise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 block firm tofu, cut into 1″ by 1/2″ pieces
- 4 sticks surimi crab stick, cut in 1/2
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- dash of white pepper powder
- salt for seasoning
In a bowl, mix water, oyster sauce, soy sauce and a dash of white pepper powder together.
Add the onions, carrots and sauce mix from above in a sauce pan or claypot.
Heat the ingredients to a boil, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
In a heated pan, add oil, and fry the tofu on each side until each piece is golden brown.
Add the fried tofu pieces and surimi crab sticks in the sauce pan/claypot and let simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.